Monday, February 7, 2011

How would you handle this one?

Over the weekend dear hubby and I watched "The Count of Monte Cristo". I DVR'd it for hubby more than for me. It sounded like a movie he'd really enjoy. Thought I'd be able to get some reading in while he watched the movie with my nook and book light!

Well what a surprise! I got into the movie and began to really enjoy the story. What a tale of innocence, a fall from grace, revenge and then eventually redemption. Sound familiar to anyone? (minus the revenge part)

There are some scenes that took place in their prison. Mainly, the Count by himself locked in a room with only a small window way up high on the wall for light. He basically spends all his time in this room. He has no one to talk to and does not see anyone else. Food is shoved through a slot in the door.

This goes on for years. I posed this question to my hubby, "How could anyone handle that oneness with self and not go crazy". My hubby in his surprising wisdom said, "Maybe it wouldn't be that bad. You would be able to constantly pray. What could be so bad about that?" Geez! I had no response but my snide, "I wasn't talking about that."

He then went on to say, that maybe that would be your path in life - to pray constantly and help others. You may suffer but you'd suffer less in purgatory and wouldn't that be good? I just sat there dumbfounded at his response and his faith.

You know, I am not sure I could handle a life like that - alone with myself. Would I pray for others and not wallow in self pity at my plight? I would like to think the former but I fear the latter would be my reality. What does that say about my faith and how I live it? What does that say about me?

Have no fear I'm not in some self pity mode. I have been thinking about what dear hubby said. I'm impressed with his wisdom and faith. It is all very quiet but very strong. It is not boastful but kind. He is not a shout from the rooftops faithful servant. He is a quiet, strong, day-after-day example of kindness and faithfulness.

We should all strive to be a living example of our faith. We don't need to boast about our works. Find your quiet way and your rewards will be great in your next lifetime!

2 comments:

  1. Wow.

    And just today I was wallowing in self-pity. It came over me all of a sudden. Got over it too, but it floored me.

    What a wise hubby you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have a wise and quiet husband. He does not say a lot, but when he does, it is usually very profound.

    I am working on my life on earth trying to serve others and possible lessen my time in purgatory so I can to quickly to that heavenly place in God's presence.

    ReplyDelete