I remember the night you were conceived.
We were staying with your Godfather in Duluth. We took a carriage ride that night.
I remember the morning we found out you were growing inside me.
I was shocked when I saw the "plus sign" on the stick. I never thought I would be blessed
that way.
I remember wondering if you would be a girl or a boy.
We had your name picked out before you were barely the size of a dime.
I remember worrying I would lose you before I got to know you.
We had some scary moments but you were strong willed. I should have known that was a
foreshadowing of the kind of child you would be.
I remember the amazement when I felt your first kicks inside my tummy.
I thanked God for your kicks and I knew you would be alright.
I remember my tummy taking on shapes I never thought possible.
You turned and churned when Daddy talked to you or put his hand on my tummy.
I remember my water breaking that evening after seeing GaGa, PaPa, and Grandma Joyce.
We were so excited to meet you. I was so scared to have you.
I remember the endless waiting for your arrival those 22 hours.
You were not easy on me. Why didn't you want to come out?
I remember my first glimpse of you.
You were right in front of my eyes when the doctor said, "Open your eyes and see your
daughter".
I remember waiting to hear you cry.
I remember wishing you would stop crying.
I remember the first time I held you in my arms.
I was afraid you would break but you just snuggled right in.
I remember seeing Daddy hold you for the first time.
He was a natural. You looked up at him...and cried.
I remember praying I would get the hang of breast feeding you.
I did but it was never without pain. That was one of the many sacrifices I make for
you.
I remember wondering if I would ever feel bonded with you.
You cried and wanted to be held so much those first three months. I was so tired.
I remember the happiness at your first smile that was not gas induced.
You have the most beautiful smile.
I remember the pink ball, do you?
You were like a little monkey playing with it between your feet.
I remember the first crawl you made, the first step you took, and that first fall.
There will be many more scares like that. I was so happy you healed quickly.
I remember the first fever, the first of many.
I never felt so helpless or so overwhelmed. I am glad your Daddy was with us.
I remember dropping you at daycare the first time.
I was scared you would hate me for leaving you.
I remember you running into my arms screaming, "mommy, mommy, my mommy" when I picked
you up.
I remember hoping you would behave during Mass.
Sometimes you surprised me and were good. Sometimes you just had "to see Fr. Bob and
Jesus".
I remember all your moments, your firsts, your goods and your bads.
I am your mommy and you're my girl.
*sniff*
ReplyDeleteSuch memories. She'll enjoy reading these some day. :-)