I was twenty-four when I lost my daddy. It was unexpected and very painful. We lost him on Christmas Eve night just before midnight in 1991. I'll never forget that night but at the same time a lot of details escape me now. The gut wrenching pain - I'll never forget.
What I do know is that I thought I was so grown up. I realize now that I was still a kid. I have come a long way since then in so many ways. I am a better person, a better daughter, and a better friend. I am a wife and mother and a step-mother. I am a proud Catholic and conservative.
I've learned that my happiness is not all about me. Newsflash said the girl that used to pout a lot that first year or so of marriage. Sometimes I take a step or two backwards to revisit my selfish self! After all I am human and a woman! I still crave attention, gratitude, and being the martyr sometimes. Now those selfish moments don't last as long as they used to. Those selfish moments are fewer.
I've learned to keep my sharp tongue in my mouth (most of the time) and think before I use it. I've learned a little patience goes a long way. I've learned that the little things matter. I've learned that building others up is more important than me or some of my needs. I've learned that my negativity spreads and eats away at others.
Little acts of kindness, or random acts of kindness, can change you and the people around you...
- A little extra hug before hubby gets up for his day.
- Washing his coffee mug for the next day and emptying his coffee pot so it is ready.
- Kisses, kisses, and more kisses for the little one.
- Not blowing a gasket and yelling over some small oversight or issue.
- Truly listening and being interested in what another has to say.
My true happiness and joy lies with God and my faith. Without God none of this is possible. Without God converting my heart I would not change and try to be better. Without God I wouldn't have the little one. Without God I never would have been married. Without God I wouldn't have imperfections to overcome. Without God I would not live.
So tell me, dear readers, why is it difficult to give God more of our life when we get so much in return. Why aren't we choosing to praise him more often? Why aren't we excited as little one to "see Jesus mommy in his house"?
Something to think about!
No comments:
Post a Comment