Sunday, January 15, 2012

Back in the saddle?

I'm slowly getting back in that working mom saddle. Some days I'm doing it well and others like today not so well.

I was in Des Moines to pick up my car and equipment. I also went through some orientation while there. Met some excellent co-workers and back home I drove in my brand new company vehicle. Came home to my Unka Bunka saying, "oh mommy, I rweally missed you I so glad you are home!". Well that sure felt wonderful.

My worst fears (or as my hubby says, my issues) did not come true. The house was standing, the dishes were clean, and Unka Bunka at least had on matching clothes! I (almost) didn't mind that no laundry had been done. That is until I noticed there was no power to the laundry room. Then I saw the huge hole (section) of wall out in the kitchen dining area. Lastly, I notice there were no outlets in the living room just holes. What I noticed next was DUST DUST and more DUST!

It appears that while away, for only 2 nights, my hubby started re-wiring the upstairs. Hmmmm...he didn't mentioned he started this on the phone. Did I mention that I hate being surprised by a home project when I get back from a trip? The last one was right before Christmas 2 years ago and the living room carpet was torn up so hubby could tile around the fireplace.

The plus side of all this is that I have a vacation from cleaning for another 2 days. I get to change the color of our kitchen since we don't have any extra paint left of the existing color. Lastly, I'll be picking out new light fixtures in a couple months. On the other hand Unka Bunka and I are tired of our stuffy noses, dust everywhere (seriously, even the bathrooms have a layer), and I'm not looking forward to the big cleaning party in a few days.

In the middle of all this I managed (with a lot of tech support) to get my home office set back up. A docking station with two monitors was too much for me and I had to call for help. I must say I thought they were a bit much. After using them a while I decided I rather like them! I'll be glad when the cable company comes out and we get a real phone, better Internet, and the same cable again. I will not be sad for Magic Crap (aka magic jack) to go! I'll be happy during the next tornado warning to actually see and hear it on the TV! I was tired of guessing what was going on because the satellite was out due to heavy rain!

So what will week 2 look like? Doing as many more of the 65 training modules on my computer as possible. Planning for getting out in the field a bit the following week. Painting the kitchen, touching up the living room, deep cleaning the entire house, and all the other regular duties of a working mom! Not that I'll do everything all by my lonesome - I'll have my handy hubby by my side telling me what to do and how to do it. Hmmmmmm...could I get out in the field this week....

3 comments:

  1. Our home stays fairly clean. At least I think so. I’m the one doing the cleaning. I’m not one to dust every time I clean, though. But living in Kuwait, our hose is usually full of dust...and sand, lots and lots of itty bitty sand particles. There’s just no way of getting around it. Vacuuming every other day, however, does help to keep things under control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started back to work, too. My goal is just to make sure the bed is made every day. Baby steps. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! So far both beds have been made here!Good luck in getting back into the work swing to you.

      Delete