Friday, February 3, 2012

Mayhem

Unfortunately, mayhem barreled into our sleepy little town Tuesday night. I don't think we'll ever be the same. I wish it was "mayhem" from Allstate and not misguided evil.

A block away from our home a very nice elderly man was murdered when he opened his door. The accused is another elderly man who has held a 50 year grudge (from high school) toward the victim. What the.....????

I don't want this post to be about that. I live the reporting and rumors daily now. What I want to talk about is                                 GRUDGES

Do you have some you haven't let go of? Come on admit it, you know you do. I have a couple. I've been thinking about those "wrongs" I hold dear in my heart. In 50 years will that wrong matter to me? Gosh, I hope I will have moved past and forgiven by then.

Holding grudges make the devil happy. They hold spite, hate, and evil in our hearts. By hanging on we are letting the devil have a piece of our otherwise Christ centered heart. So why do I leave that door open even a crack by holding a grudge?The only one I'm hurting or making miserable is me. The person I am holding a grudge against certainly could care less - doubt they even know it exists.

So why hang on?

I have no idea. I just do.

I am resolving here and now to take a deeper look and try to let go of my grudges.

What about you?

2 comments:

  1. Part of the Lord's Prayer says, "...Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us." In other words, God will forgive us the wrongs we have done, but we must forgive others as well.

    It isn't always easy, but simply saying, "I forgive you" can be freeing. And sometimes I have to forgive the same wrong over and over and over again so I can move on with my life.

    Good post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have forgiven. I have a phrase I learned from a sermon on audio sancto, "Lord, help me love and forgive this person" every time I think of them.

    Does it mean I condone what they did , nope. Does it mean I will associate with them and all that they stand for? Nope Do I think they perhaps are the ones who should do some asking for forgiveness from those they hurt? Yep

    But even if it never comes....and I seriously doubt it ever will.....I have forgiven. That is the power of Christ in our hearts.
    Nice post for Lent!

    ReplyDelete