Don't get me wrong the mom gene kicked in. I did 2 loads of laundry and dusted the living room too!
I started reading in the silence - wow, silence I don't "not hear" that often! Then "I got an idea" to quote my baby girl. I opened up the CD drawer and found 5 CD's my hubby can't stand and put them in on shuffle.
Oh the sweet sounds of Frank Sinatra, Michael Buble', Chris Botti and Josh Groban...
If only it wasn't like 10:00am because a glass of wine could have made the moment even more perfect. Yet, I settled for my usual Diet Dew on ice...
Then this song (La Belle Dame Sans Regret), sung in French, came on....
I heard this on the Chris Botti album as well as one of Sting's.
Yep, I am a rare breed...
I love the Police and I love Sting's solo career. I may not agree with his politics at all but his voice melts butter in this song!
Well that was besides the point! I've always loved listening to this song and the words sung in French. It sounds romantic, wistful, melancholic (why I love a lot of Sting music), and remembrance.
The song had me daydreaming. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks.
I was, right there, in my newly painted and arranged living room, reliving my single hood!!! I used to get up, put on music, and read a book in utter ecstasy! WOW, not an earth shattering revelation.
I didn't have visions, nothing profound came to mind - just a few minutes/hours of joy. A joy that 3 hours later is still with me as I write this. I feel rejuvenated and light. Who knew, right? I am surprised to get this much joy from an act that isn't in the spiritual realm but I'll take this too.
Then I got curious. Wonder what the song is saying, really saying, and in English. Well here it is:
The fair lady with no regrets
You say "Let's dance"
And I follow
My moves are gauche
You crush my feet
I fear the fools
I am vainly at loss for words
To account for your life, so
You lie, my sister,
You break my heart
I think, you know
Mistakes, never
I listen, you speak
I don't understand quite well
The fair lady with no regrets
And I follow
My moves are gauche
You crush my feet
I fear the fools
I am vainly at loss for words
To account for your life, so
You lie, my sister,
You break my heart
I think, you know
Mistakes, never
I listen, you speak
I don't understand quite well
The fair lady with no regrets
I cry, you laugh
I sing, you shout
You sow the seeds
Of a wrong oak tree
My wheat is blown away
You are fed up
I'm waiting, always
My cries are muffled
You lie, my sister
You break my heart
I think, you know
Mistakes, never
I listen, you speak
I don't understand quite well
The fair lady with no regrets...
I sing, you shout
You sow the seeds
Of a wrong oak tree
My wheat is blown away
You are fed up
I'm waiting, always
My cries are muffled
You lie, my sister
You break my heart
I think, you know
Mistakes, never
I listen, you speak
I don't understand quite well
The fair lady with no regrets...
Hmmmmm...not exactly what I expected. I think I like my imagination and feeling much better! Isn't that what good music is supposed to do? Transport you to a place of utter contentment and contemplation? Well that is what it has always done for me.
I had forgotten...
I think I'm going to listen to music, MY MUSIC, more often. I just realized how much I have missed it. Other people be D****d! I won't apologize for my eclectic tastes. I like what I like. I realize the Rat Pack music is before my time. My parents played it all the time during their parties when I was little. So therefore, I love it.
Hmmmm...
I hope I can pass that love down to Unka Bunka as well as a love of Sting. Yep, a little dig to Daddy there since he can't stand him!
What gives you moments of joy that isn't spiritual, anything my dear readers???
You would like Pink Martini. I <3 them -- and not because it reminds me of a ... well ... pink martini. ;-D
ReplyDeleteEveryone needs a little time to just relax and be with his or her own thoughts. I'm so happy you got your time. :-D
We all need more of this.....time to ourselves. And the fact that it brings us such joy should reinforce this fact! When we have those times to recharge our batteries we can be better mommy's, wifes, co-workers and people.
ReplyDeleteI say start a regular routine there! Especially Mommies need some time just to be themselves.
I give myself permission to just do nothing some days! I just read, nap, blog, watch a sappy chick flick or sit outside and take in the beauty.
Keep it up! You deserve it!