Thursday, November 24, 2011

It all started with...a butter dish!

I was up in the shower Thanksgiving morning and heard a loud crash! I yelled downstairs to my hubby, "What did you break now"?

All I heard was, "Wah wha bah wha bababoo".

Once I was out and drying off my little one comes in to tell on daddy. "He bwoke the butter dish", she said in her low growly little girl voice. I felt the heat rising, the anger coming and bubbling out. After all, it is our only dish and was crystal. Remember, I'm unemployed so replacing things aren't as easy as it used to be.

Just a little later the turkey was put on the grill to cook. A fire lit (it was destined to be over sixty degrees) for grandma who has trouble with body temp regulation now. What do we see out our picture window?

SMOKE and lots of it!

What happened? The grill and turkey caught on fire! I'm not sure what ensued after that willy nilly rush. In the end, the turkey was slightly blackened and put in the roaster to finish cooking.

Fast forward to my in-laws arriving. We cleared the house of obstacles for mom and her walker. We were having a nice visit. We were surprised because a few minutes before this Unka Bunka had thrown a fit when we made her put toys and blankies up in her room. We needed the downstairs to be obstacle free. She was not happy...until PaPa and Gma showed up. Thank goodness!

Fast forward to GaGa's arrival. No not the lady one, just my mother aptly named "GaGa" since Unka could speak. Warming of the side dishes ensued and it was finally time to eat.

Unka was eating and we said grace - and little did we know we'd need that very grace very soon!

I started rinsing dishes when I noticed I had the handle to HOT and the water was cool...

               ....then the water slowed...

                          ...then the water on HOT stopped...

                                    ...only cold worked...

                                        ...there was our 2nd flood for the week in the basement...

                                                  ...the water heater was toast!

What happened next you ask? We started to laugh, went about our business and loaded the dishwasher. Heated water on the stove to wash the pots & pans. Cleaning up never went so fast!

            Mom & I had more time to visit because we weren't scrubbing everything.

                We left the kitchen a bit of a mess.

                      We visited more with PaPa and Gma much to Unka's happiness.

                          We all read her "Pinkalicious" at least once.

                                We laughed some more at the follies of the day.

Then it was time for all to go home. Hubby and I looked at each other and smiled.

It was a good day, a day to remember, a story for grandchildren some day.

We talked about being blessed. It could have been worse - much worse. We are thankful it wasn't.

        We are thankful my in laws could come down on such a perfect day.

            We are thankful we had food to eat - even blackened turkey.

                  We are thankful for time with family.

Most of all, we are thankful that God put these detours into our day to remind us how thankful we are for His love, our love and the love of family.

1 comment:

  1. Your story has the makings of an excellent “Griswold” movie! I feel so sorry for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete