Monday, August 15, 2011

Who am I?

I've been thinking quite a bit lately about who I am...
  • Wife, mother, and daughter
  • Follower of Christ
  • Friend, sister, aunt
  • Keeper of secrets (mine & others)
  • Household organizer
  • Playmate to my child
  • Insurance specialist
The list could go on but I hope you see where I'm going. In the past, before marriage & children, I used to define myself by my work and my faith. I would bet in that order too!

Lately, the order of the list has been evolving. I no longer define myself by my "job" or chosen profession.  I am "hubby's wife" or "unka bunka's mom". Is that so bad? Could I be finding myself and redefining my place in life? Possibly

This road I'm on is full of bends and twists - even detours. I have no idea where it will take me. What I do know is that I'm open to the possibilities that lie ahead. I'm not going to let that voice of "the past me" rear its ugly head and say:
  • "you need a certain type of job to be worthy"
  • "you need to make "xx" amount of money to be worthy"
  • "you need to do this or that to be worthy"...
Seriously, worthy of what? Worldly things and accolades? People that tell you what you want to hear and not the truth? People consumed with materialism? (yes, I am at times and it is a daily struggle)

You know what I've discovered in the past few months? I am worthy of whatever God has in store for me and my family. I don't need any one's approval or the world's approval. I have moved on to accept and appreciate what I have now. Once you accept you can be open to what comes next...

2 comments: